Sunday, May 27, 2012

Strawberry Fields Forever


Strawberry Fields Forever.   Love that song by the Beatles and I love the strawberry fields for the wonderful strawberries they produce.  We visited my favorite Farmer's Market today for an afternoon of strawberry picking with my grandson.  The strawberries were at their peak and becking to be taken home by strawberry pickers.  I did indulge. 



My grandson had never been to a strawberry patch and had a wonderful time helping Mawmaw pick berries.  Not one  green berry in the bunch, lol. 


Now what to do with all these berries.  We picked two flats today; I see lots of smoothies on the horizon during the hot summer months ahead.   They will be perfect after a day of working in the garden.  What do you do with your frozen strawberries?   How do you freeze them?   I slice mine in  half before freezing them.  My blender doesn't handle frozen whole berries well.  I also like freezing them individually on a cookie sheet and than placing them into freezer bags.  They're perfect as ice cubes in my lemon-ade in the summer.  I prefer not to use tons of sugar on my fruit while preserving since I'm a diabetic, so I'll be using  Ball Fruit Fresh Produce Protector.   Because jam recipes call for so much sugar, I decided not to turn any into jam.  The thought sure is making my mouth water though. 



I'm thinking that I may plant a few rolls of strawberries in my own back yard next year.  I think my grandson would love to have a strawberry patch of his own.  



   

4 comments:

  1. What a handsome grandson you have! And such a great helper. I wish I could eat strawberries. Looks like a fabulous place to pick them. I miss southern Maryland and it's green rolling hills and Amish markets and farms. It's so green and pretty back east.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my grandchildren are my pride and joy. It is beautiful in this part of the country. This Farmer's Market is one of the best that's seen. My grandson enjoys seeing the buffalo roaming here, so he's always happy to visit. He was thrilled to pick the berries too. We made Strawberry Grahams today, oh so good. I'll post the very simple recipe, your children may enjoy them if they eat strawberries.

      Delete
  2. I can think of all kinds of things to do with the strawberries.Nothing better than fresh berries right from the field. We have our berry patch finally ready to plant. Just need to find the time. Such fun to take grandchildren on little adventures teaching them simpler ways of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to add a berry patch next year. I'm hoping to add strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. Did you use raised beds?

      Delete