Sunday, September 16, 2012

New Fencing and Canning the Garden Harvest

 
 

My fence is finally up!  I took this picture from the deck this morning.  We ended up building the fence board by board rather than panels because the ground is uneven, which made for more work, but I'm loving it.  It makes a great backdrop for the garden and for future flower beds.

My garden thrived this season for the most part.  Didn't produce as many cukes as I wanted, but all and all it was a good year. 


This is my second batch of pickled peppers.  My daughter called yesterday, and asked for a quart size jar.  She said she knocked out the jelly jar in one setting.  I was able to make 2 quarts, 2 pints and 3 jelly jars from the batch I picked yesterday.  I gave away 2 gallon baggies full to the guys who helped build my garden fence. 


I'm drying chili peppers in this bowl.  Initially, I put them in the oven at 170 degrees for the day to get them started.  The oven drying technique calls for a temperature of 150 degrees or less, but my oven doesn't go that low.  I'll let them sit for a few more days and than I'll throw them in the chopper to make dry pepper flakes.  I put them on everything!



I plucked this batch of tomatoes from the garden for fresh salsa.  I love that I have a variety of colors.  There's nothing better than colorful and flavorful foods.  I'll be canning the salsa for Christmas gifts again this year.  I made baskets last year with salsa, chips and homemade cookies for family and friends.  It was a big hit, homemade and cheap.  Can't get any better than that.   


This was my attempt at making Spicy Dill refrigerator pickles from my cukes.  I have a few yellow cukes in there, but they were yummy!  Unfortunately, my vines didn't produce many.  I called numerous farmer's markets in the area, and they didn't have much luck with the cuke crop either.  Walmart has a pretty good deal on their pickling cukes, so I may resort to store brought cucumbers to make more. 

Well I'm off to blanch tomatoes for the salsa.  Need to go to the garden and pick a few jalapenos for the salsa.  We like it hot in my household.  I wonder if this heat is a contributor to my hot flashes!  How did your garden do this season?  Have you brought out the canner yet?  Leave me a comment and I'll stop and visit your garden endeavors. 

5 comments:

  1. No.... I haven't got out the canner yet, but I see you are having a ton of fun with yours and I bet everything is as delicious as you say they are..Nothing beats homemade anything..

    So glad you were able to enjoy your harvest and even shared some with those who deserved a taste....Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been quite busy. I hadn't thought about drying the hot peppers. Right now they are in the fridge waiting for me to decide what to do with them. I am running out of time. I like your fence. We had a wood fence at our old house and it provided a really nice back drop for the garden, so you will enjoy your fence too. Love the Lady bug cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crow...Look at them chili peppers! They look amazing! And your tomatos did great too. (Mine? Not so much)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fence is awesome! And it does make an amazing backdrop. It's perfectly lined up at the top. Great work! Which type of chile pepper did you grow? great work!

    ReplyDelete