Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Germinating Dill




I love dill.  I use it in dips and my pickles and use it as a companion plant for my cukes.  I decided to germinate a few seeds inside and a few using the winter sowing method.  The dill in the top photo was germinated inside and the bottom outside.  Quite a difference wouldn't you say.  I was expecting the seeds sown under grow lights to be leggy.  As you can see the end result was the opposite.  I'll see how they perform in the garden. 

This is Mammoth, which is an heirloom variety.  One of my plants reseeded last season.  We'll see if I have another this season.  I used this variety in my pickles last year and dried some for my dip.  It performs wells and tastes great.  I'm hoping the winter sown dill will survive and become stronger.  I checked the garden this evening, and both plants seem to be doing well. 

Do you grow or use dill?  What variety do you grow?  I'm hoping to add more herbs to my garden next season.  I do plant basil as a companion to my tomatoes.  I planted Spicy Globe and Genovese this year.  What herbs do you have growing?  Do you companion plant?



                                                             

4 comments:

  1. I am totally hooked on winter sowing. I winter sown my dill also and it is very healthy. I am growing "Tetra" dill, it was given to me as a free sample.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was successful with some of my winter sowing. I may try the dill again, but I will def start a few plants inside just in case.

      Delete
  2. My dill now reseeds itself for me. Sometimes in odd places. Love little sprigs of it in the fresh lettuce salads from the garden. I grow it mainly to feed the swallowtail butterfly caterpillars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried dill in lettuce, I may do that this year. It reseeded last year, but not sure if I will be blessed again. Since I use so much, I decided to start a few seedlings.

      Delete