Saturday, June 8, 2013

Building A TeePee Trellis for Kids

 
 
 
 
 

Last year I used a teepee for my pole beans and it worked well, but I decided to modify it to maximize my harvest.  I added several bars to the teepee so I could plant beans completely around the tee pee.  I left one side open so my grandchildren can have a seat inside while Mawmaw is gardening.   I have an adorable miniature chair that I can place inside the teepee for them to rest. 

It was quite simple and inexpensive to make.  I used the bamboo poles from last season and cuttings from my bamboo squash trellis from last year as well.  I found some string that I had laying around to tie the pieces to the teepee.  Lowes and Home Depot sell bamboo poles that won't break the bank if you can't found a resource locally.  My brother has a yard full of bamboo, so I lucked out.  The poles should be 7 - 8 feet tall and you need at least 4.  More can be used depending on how large and wide you want the teepee.   I used 4 7 foot poles and 5 bars across.  Be sure to secure the poles at the top tightly and get them deep into the ground before you tie on the horizontal poles. 


 I used Blue Lake pole beans, which I planted a week ago.  They have germinated already!  I was quite surprised when I went down to the garden this week-end and these sprouts were waiting for me.  Hopefully, they will continue to rise.  I did plant a few rows of Jade bush beans, which were recommended by a fellow gardener.  Can't wait to try them.  They have sprouted as well.  I need to take a picture a of them.  I used them a companion to my tomatoes and cukes.  Do you plant pole beans or are you a bush bean gardener.  What's your favorite green bean?   


 
                                                                  

9 comments:

  1. I plant both bush and pole beans, with Fortex being my favorite for ease of picking, flavor and freezing. Taste tests of my frozen beans show Fortex to be the best over all. I used to do teepees for my pole beans, but now I just use the 6' chain link of the unused dog kennel. I do have some mini-teepees that lead up to the lattice on the patio, allowing a few pole beans to climb up and provide "edible shade".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen Fortex beans around these parts. I'll have to try them. How lucky are you to have a 6 ft chain link that you can use. I'll come over to visit and see what you have going on. I've learned so much from you, I'm sure it will be an interesting visit.

      Delete
  2. I love bush beans like Kentucky Wonder. Your hiding spot for the kids will be so much fun! Very good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin. I'm hoping that it will be full of beans & a fun spot for the kids.

      Delete
  3. Very nice. I just built my teepee yesterday for my pole beans. I built one last year for my beans, and it worked so well I am doing it again this year. Last year I planted lettuce under my teepee and it grew well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tee-pee will look awesome when the beans mature and fill it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that it will fill out. All of the seeds have germinated and starting to climb. I'm refinishing the miniature chair. Hope to have it ready this week.

      Delete
  5. Cool looking tee pee trellis. Should be a fun spot for the kids to hang out in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susanne. I'm hoping for a great bean crop & a fun spot for the kids. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete