Monday, April 16, 2012

2012 Vegetable Garden Plan


The garden is tilled and I've been working on my layout.  Here's the tentative plan.  My garden is actually 25 x 25.  The scale is about 22 x 22.  I left room for the fence and 3 feet along the sides. 

I had wanted to add room for carrots, but thinking I may try them in a container.  I'll also plant the marigolds between the tomatoes instead of in front of them as shown.  The opening in the lower right corner will be a gate.  Of course this could all change once I start planting.  I'm going to use a trellis for the watermelon, pumpkins, squash, zucchini and cukes to free up space.    The pole beans will be planted in a circle that I will install using field stone, so it won't be exactly square as shown.  Using a circle will allow me to plant more beans too. 

I'm hoping to make and place a scarecrow in the middle of the garden.  My grandson loved the scarecrow last year, although it scared the crap out of me on occasion.  I kept forgetting it was there, and thought someone was in the garden when I stepped out my deck, lol. 

Has anyone planted garlic in the spring?  My package says that I can plant it up to April 15.  I know most people plant in the fall for summer harvest.  I allocated space, but may plant my carrots there if I find planting the garlic now is not a good idea.  Garlic masters, I need your advice.  Let me know what you think about my layout, and if I should change anything or at least consider something.  Do you have your garden planned?

11 comments:

  1. I always planted my garlic in the spring. I didn't even hear about fall planting until a couple of years ago! Fall planting has given me a head start on it, and I think slightly larger bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you plant your garlic in the spring Granny. That will be my project tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if they don't get huge, you'll still get a decent harvest I think. I wish I had waited until spring to plant this year's crop. I planted it in October, then had to move it in March when I changed the garden plot. It is not looking happy :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a long as I get a nice harvest it will be okay. I would like to make Garlic Pesto this summer. I'll plant again in the fall.

      Delete
  4. Quite an ambitious garden plan. We just head to the garden ask each other where should we plant. . . ? Our only rule: don't plant the same plant in the same place each year. Good plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I like your plan. Thanks for the reminder not to plant the same plant in the same place.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for following my blog! I love your garden plans and your blog. I will be back again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice plan! Did you use growveg to make it? My husband and I did something similar this year, we used gowveg to layout this super detailed plan in the winter, but now that it's time to plant we realized that we don't follow it very much at all. LOL Good luck with your veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, yes I did use growveg.com Best software for garden planning that I used. Love, love, love it. I probably won't deviate much from the plan. I'm a stickler, lol. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Oh, one more thought: Think about planting some basil and parsley with your tomatoes and peppers (in between or next to them), this will improve flavor, pest resistance and also improve yields. We've been doing this in our garden with good success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did companion planting last year using basil with the peppers and tomatoes. I will add a few herbs in the plan. Just haven't figured out what yet. Thanks for the tip. Feel free to leave me as many as you would like, lol.

      Delete