Sunday, July 15, 2012

Keeping Weeds Down In The Garden





I mulched around the majority of my plants this year, but didn't complete the paths.  I decided to do that this week-end since weeding was taking up lots of time.  I ran short on straw, and decided to make do with what I had.  Hopefully, layering the paths with thick layers of newspaper before laying the straw will help. 

I didn't cover the remaining bale of straw, and it was damp in some areas.  Take note, do not wear flip-flops while laying wet, rotted straw.  You could take a topple.  It's amazing how slippery it is when wet.  Funny, I walked past two pair of garden boots while heading to the garden to lay the straw.  I won't make that mistake again. 

Hopefully, the newspaper will help with the weeds in the pathways since I wasn't able to thickly apply it.  I'll be sure to buy at least 2  - 3 bales for the paths and plants this fall.  I left my straw out to rot and ensure that all seeds sprouted or died before placing it in the garden.  I've heard horror stories of gardeners using fresh straw/hay and it sprouting throughout the garden.  Since I row garden, I'll toss the newspaper in the compost and till the straw under in the spring.  All those weeds have made me want to add a cultivator to my list of gardening wants for next season, but at this point it's cheaper for me to use straw and newspaper.  How do you keep your weeds down? 




1 comment:

  1. The fires here really were awful and the aftermath is just as bad as it rains causing mud slides. On a happier note, I got the Lady bug table cloths at Party America. Party City might have them too. Have a fun birthday.

    ReplyDelete