Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring Is Buried



This is what I woke up to this morning!  Spring is under there somewhere, I'm still waiting for it to emerge.  These are containers that I winter sowed.  If snow is suppose to good for them, I have happy seeds today. 





I mulched my garden with leaves throughout the winter, so I left up my fence to contain the leaves.  I had planned to take it down this week-end and get it ready for tilling.  As you can see that didn't happen.  I'm going to expand it 3 - 4 feet to the right this season.  I want to make my paths a little wider, so it will be easier to get through.  I like to take my grandson in to pick veggies, and the paths are little to narrow for him.  I also want to add an area for garlic and onions and a few more tomatoes.  I planted 8 tomato plants last season, I plan to add 2 more this year.  My salsa was so good, I want to make sure I have lots of tomatoes.   

I'm trying a few new varieties this year, Tiffen Mennonite, Delicious and Homestead.  I haven't met a garden tomato yet that I didn't like.   





The bird bath and feeder are snow covered.  I've seen tons of birds in the backyard.  I have no idea what they are.  This week I'll be spending time making homemade feeders for them.  Stay tuned for that post.   Years ago, I didn't even notice them unless they were making a mess on my car, sidewalk or deck.  Now, I'm curious about my feathered friends.  I'm going to invest in a camera with a nice lens so I can start taking photos of them.   Do you feed the birds? Do you know the different species?  I'm familiar with the cardinal since it is our state bird, robins, woodpeckers, wrens and humming birds.  Otherwise, I have alot of studying to do on various species.  Maybe I'll put a "Species" book on my Christmas list this year.    

                                                                             [signatureformother2motherwithmugb.png]    

7 comments:

  1. I know how you are feeling, except here it is too windy. It looks so pretty out but the wind is cold. On the plus side I don't need to drag out the leave blower for cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly got a lot of snow! Should be good for all those seeds in the containers and to break down the leaves for the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's snowing again! I'm going to take your advice, and think positive. Yes, snow break down those leaves and help my seeds sprout so I can plant them in my garden soon. I'm going to repeat this again and again.

      Delete
  3. I'm a nature lover, bird watcher and bird feeder. I was so thrilled when my nieces and I learned to hand feed chic-a dee's I did a post on them back in the Summer of 2011
    I supplied the link to that post in case you missed it.

    http://vetsysview.blogspot.com/2011/08/summer-is-winding-down.html

    I have a few new feathered friends I attract to my small balcony. Woodpeckers, finches..the( purple and the yellow finch....

    chickadees, Titmice, and the Carolina Wren are frequent visitors... I have tried to capture them with my Canon camera but it's not designed to catch the action through my glass balcony doors... Yep I need a nice new camera that can handle stuff like this.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your post on hand feeding the birds. I was amazed. I'm going to try to attract Baltimore Orioles this spring. I'm working on making feeders this week. We'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  4. I know name of most of the birds that flock in my garden. I wrote about them in my blog also. But, of course NJ has about 2400 bird species and it is impossible to know about them all :-). I agree with you about waiting for spring. When will it come?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've checked out your blog and will be following your posts. Beautiful pictures of the birds flocking your yard.

      Delete