Saturday, March 31, 2012

More Sprouts


I have more sprouts, but not as many as I would like.  Next year, I will start the germination process earlier.  To date, I have 2 jalapeno, 2 Cherokee Purple, 1 Beefsteak, 2 Boxcar Willie, 1 German Johnson and 1 Kaki Coing that have germinated.  None of the sweet or hot peppers have germinated or the Hillbilly or Paul Robeson tomatoes. 

Tomorrow, I'm going to start a few more Cherokee Purple and Beefsteak pots since they germinated quickly so I can have a few extra heirlooms on hand just in case the other tomato seeds don't germinate.


I'm loving the grow lights.  I need to pull out a banquet table to set it on this week-end.  It's setting on the floor in one of the guest bedrooms now.  I can say that purchasing the light was money well spent.  The seedlings seem happy at this point.  I set a few pots of dill under it a few days ago.  It seems that dill needs light to germinate, so I'm hoping that it will warm the soil enough to germinate the seeds.  I found the perfect stand in my attic last week-end that I plan to turn into a germination station next year.  It has 4 tiers, and is wide enough to hold several flats per tier.  Sure wish I had spotted it earlier.  (I really need to clean my attic out, lol).   

Any experienced dill growers out there?  I need dill for my pickles this year.  I had a few dill plants in the garden last year as companion plants and they did well.  I'm hoping to germinate a few seeds.  Research has shown that dill doesn't transplant well, so I don't know if I will be successful with transplanting it in the garden if the seeds do germinate. 

The thing that I tried and was successful in producing last year was sunflowers.  I'm going to try to germinate my seeds inside this year.  I love sunflowers in the garden, and hoping to share the experience with my grandchildren.   How's your seed germination going? 

3 comments:

  1. My seed germination isn't going as well as yours. Your sprouts look good! I've never grown Cherokee purple, but I love the idea of a purple tomato! Never grown dill either, but I look forward to seeing how you pickle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Bumble Lush - I was hoping to have more germination with the heat mat, but we'll see what happens over the next few weeks. Any tips for my sunflower seeds?

      Delete
  2. I'll have to try those grow lights one day soon. I'll also need to practice germinating seeds.

    I like those pickles that crunch! Not those wobbly softs ones. It's another future goal of mine to try also. I have a pickle recipe some where...I hope that I can find it when I need it. Good luck with your vegetable garden this year. I'll be back to check.

    ReplyDelete