Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Calcium Mix for Tomatoes







My tomatoes are taking off, so to give them a boost through out the growing season I'll be feeding them eggshells and calcium tablets.  My tomatoes were good last year, but they were small.  In addition to the calcium, I'll be diligent in removing the suckers.  

I'll be going on vacation this week, so I wanted to give them a good dose before we leave.  I grinded up a bottle of calcium tablets into powder, and boiled a half dozen of eggs that were ready to expire.  Calcium tablets are rather expensive, so I'll be relying on eggshells the majority of the season. 

The eggshells should be dry, so I placed them in the oven for 5 minutes to dry then out.  I then placed them in a plastic bag and used a rolling pin to crush them into fine pieces.  I mixed the calcium powder and eggshells together and placed a healthy dose around the base of the tomato plants.  I used a plastic fork to mix the mixture into the soil and replaced the straw mulch.  We received a good shower this evening after I placed the mixture, so I'm hoping that it will help mix the powder into the soil. 

I'll continue this process throughout the growing season.  I'm hoping for a bumper crop with the boosts of calcium.  How do you feed your tomato plants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment