Sunday, July 17, 2011

Eggplants Are Producing

This is my first eggplant for the season.  My Prosperosa is coming along nicely.  Prosperosa is a round Italian heirloom variety with a mild tasting flesh.  It's not quite ready to pick, but I think we'll be there soon.  It's starting to acquire the nice sheen that eggplants are known for.  I have two plants and the other is producing fruit as well.  I've never eaten eggplant before, so I'm hoping that I will like it.  I'm a big fan of fried squash, zucchini, mushrooms, and other veggies, I wanted to add eggplant to the mix.  I also want to try Eggplant Parmesan.   If I find it unpleasant, I'll send it to our local food bank who is in desperate need of food.  So many people are out of work and struggling to feed their families, I won't have to look far for a family in need of my over abundance of veggies.

Are you growing eggplant this season?  How do you prepare yours?

 

1 comment:

  1. I am growing egg plant, but only because I like to watch them grow and I like the purple color. I give them way. I have friends at the university who love them. So I take them to school. I just like growing them.

    ReplyDelete