Friday, May 13, 2011

Veggie Garden Is Tilled


Finally got the veggie garden tilled yesterday.  I ended up tilling a 10 x 17 plot for the vegetables.  This should be sufficient for a few tomato, pepper, squash, zuchinni and herb plants.  I may put in lettuce.  The soil is beautiful.  It's dark and rich and will need very little amending.  This is what a few pigs will do for you, lol.  We went down about 4 or 5 layers and hit 4 rocks in a 10 x 17 area.    I've decided to go with row planting instead of raised beds.  I think this soil will be perfect for growing anything that I wish.  There is nothing here, but rich soil and opportunity. 

I made the mistake of planting too soon last year and lost quite a few flowers because we had a late frost.  I won't plant before Memorial date this year.   In the mean time, I'll add a little compost to the soil over the next week to prepare the bed and purchase my tomato cages and fencing.  My yard gets quite a few visitors, rabbits, deer and ground hogs.  I'm trying to decide if I want to do a minature picket fence or regular metal fencing.  With the ground hogs, I'll need to take the fencing a few inches into the ground to keep them from digging under it.  Not sure I can do that with a picket fence.  One of the cons of living in the country. 

Stay tuned for the fencing and planting! 

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck with your garden this year... hope for a wonderful harvest. The soil looks beautiful. Thats how our solid looks in our garden, then on the rest of our land we have the red clay dirt.

    ReplyDelete